Radnor, PA -- Nov 19, 2012 / (http://www.myprgenie.com) -- Five Harrisburg fifty-somethings led a team of nine this past weekend, racing in the Philadelphia Marathon Rothman 8K and raising $1,250 for the Susan G. Komen Foundation. This was the second annual effort for the team from Traditions of America at Silver Spring in Mechanicsburg (http://www.toaSilverSpring.com), and team members said it was an incredible, emotional experience.
Pam Minhas, despite having a tumor removed from her abdomen earlier this year and currently battling breast cancer, was able to meet her goal of running the entire race. She finished in under 1 hour. Her sister also joined the team this year. Pam noted, "She was totally supportive in my healing and for this event. It will become an annual event for me and my family." (Minhas delayed a second mastectomy so she could be a part of Team Traditions, scheduling it for three days after the race.)
Homeowner Rod Bartlett also said he achieved his personal goal -- to beat his wife Kay! The runners, hometowns and times recorded for the Traditions of America team included:
- Rod Bartlett, Mechanicsburg, Silver Spring home owner-- 56:24
- Kay Bartlett, Mechanicsburg, Silver Spring home owner-- 1:03:24
- Pam Minhas, Mechanicsburg, Silver Spring home owner -- 59:45
- Patty Burns, Mechanicsburg, Pam Minhas' sister -- 1:10:09
- Karen Karkuff, Mechanicsburg, Silver Spring Lifestyle Director -- 51:12
- Gary Karkuff, Mechanicsburg, Traditions of America Friend -- 40:03
- Jenna Karkuff, Philadelphia, Traditions of America Friend -- 40:09
- Sara Kosteva, Conshohocken, Traditions of America Marketing Manager -- 40:06
- Megan Babp, Easton, Traditions of America Marketing Assistant -- 59:24
In support of their efforts, Traditions of America sponsored the team and donated an additional $1,250. "I love the tradition we have created," said Bartlett, reflecting on the emotional weekend. "We now schedule this run into our calendar each year and enjoy the support from each other and from Traditions."
Traditions of America is based in Radnor, Pennsylvania focused on the development of award winning Lifestyle Communities and building the finest maintenance free homes for people age 55 and better. Nationally recognized as a leader in this growing industry, the firm has built retirement communities in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware for 20 years.